Saturday, July 22, 2017
I've recently been reminded that I'm behind on posting recipes here, so I'm back at it! I have been stockpiling photos and ideas for a while.
Here's a happy breakfast/brunch/dinner idea that requires little cooking, is easy to assemble and is a serious crowd pleaser. Purchasing packaged Hollandaise sauce mix, rosemary (or other) fresh bread and nitrite-free deli turkey helps to make this recipe come together quickly.
1 pkg Knorr Hollandaise sauce, prepared as directed on package
3 thick slices fresh rosemary bread, cut in half & lightly toasted
6 eggs, poached
6 slices deli Turkey
1 large ripe tomato, sliced
2 large ripe avocados
3 tablespoons fresh basil or parsley, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
Assemble all ingredients. Starting with the bottom layer and working to the top garnish.
1. 1/2 bread slice
2. 1/4 avocado, spread thickly
3. 1 tomato slice
4. 1 turkey slice, piled
5. 1 poached egg
6. Hollandaise sauce
7. garnish with basil, parsley, salt & pepper
Serve 2 per person. YUM
Sunday, October 23, 2016
I used this technique for wrapping in parchment: https://youtu.be/52wYn99cL2I
|cut parchment into heart shape pieces|
|Have all ingredients ready for assembly|
|Layer lemons and vegetables under the fish.|
|Top with pesto to taste, and drizzle with olive oil.|
|Finished packets ready to go into the oven.|
4 sheets of parchment paper, approx 18"
4 fresh Halibut filets (6oz)
1 c. carrots, julienned
1 c. mexican squash or zucchini, julienned
1 scallion, julienned
1/2 c. perfect pesto
8 lemon slices, 1/4" thick and seeded
salt and pepper
extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Follow directions for heart-shaped parchment package in video above.
2. Unfold parchment heart and place two lemon slices on one side so that it touches the fold, but not the border.
3. Top lemons with 1/4 cup each carrots and squash and a few slices of scallion.
4. Place fillet on top of vegetables.
5. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of pesto over fillet; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper.
4. Fold paper; sealing edges with folds. Repeat with the remaining parchment paper, fish, and vegetables.
5. Place packets on baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. To serve in packets, carefully transfer to plates and pierce each to allow steam to escape. Diners can peel back the parchment to eat out of the package. To plate, open packets and transfer the fillets and vegetables to plates; pour juices over top.
*packets can also be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to cook
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
2 c. fresh basil leaves
1/4 c. grated parmesean cheese
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 tsp. red chile flakes
1/4 c. dry toasted pecans, chopped
1 small clove of garlic
Whirl all ingredients in a small food processor until smooth. Add more olive oil if you prefer a thinner sauce.
Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
Monday, July 25, 2016
I tossed this delicious, quick salad together for a summer bbq potluck, using what I happened to have on hand. It comes together easily using a pre-made salad dressing and Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend. It's an unseasoned, dried mix of pearl couscous, orzo, dried garbanzo beans and red quinoa. Pearl (also called Israeli) couscous has a mildly chewy texture, with a slightly nutty flavor, made from semolina or wheat flour. It's like eating tiny little balls of pasta.
Summer Pearl Couscous Salad
1 package Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend (16oz) or 2 cups pearl (Israeli) couscous
3-1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, smashed
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 cup sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 bottle Annie's Naturals Organic Red Wine & Olive Oil Vinaigrette
Salt & Pepper
In medium saucepan, boil water. Add entire package of grains, garlic and olive oil.
Bring to a boil again, stir, then simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain if necessary.
Move grains into a large glass or steel bowl, and chill in the refrigerator or freezer, stirring occasionally, until cold.
Once chilled, add to grain mix all of the remaining ingredients and stir gently until combined..
Serve chilled or room temperature.